FortiOS 5 Network Security Operating System
New Features add More Protection, Control, and Intelligence for the World’s Most Advanced Network Security Operating System
FortiOS is a security-hardened, purpose-built Operating System which is the base of all FortiGate network security platforms. It can be used across large or small organization infrastructure. Building on Fortinet’s history of innovation, FortiOS 5 includes over 150 standard features, as well as new enhancements to help protect against advanced threats, simplify FortiGate configurations and deployments and enhance security threat reporting and management.
More Protection – Advanced Threat Protection for Fighting Advanced Persistent Threats
FortiOS 5 includes a all new and advanced anti-modern malware detection system for identifying and mitigating Advanced Persistent Threats. Together with superior, industry-validated anti-virus signatures, FortiOS 5 brings a multi-layered approach to dealing with today’s most dangerous security threats, including:
- FortiGuard Antivirus Engine, which identifies standard antivirus threats, and also utilizes advanced heuristics and sandboxing to determine malicious behavior
- FortiGuard Analytics, which identifies zero-day wares for further analysis in the cloud
- FortiGuard Botnet Database, which contains up-to-date information about IP reputations and prevents remote command and control communications
- Fortinet Web Filtering, which uses URL matching and advanced DNS-based web filters to identify potentially harmful websites
Download White Paper Fighting Advanced Threats
More Control – Feature Select for Simplifying Configurations and Deployments
With FortiOS 5 Feature Select, organizations can configure their FortiGate appliances fast and simple, based on their business and security requirements. These preset configurations are enabled with a single mouse click at the time of system setup or at any time during the system deployment. Configuration options include:
- Firewall (FW) – includes high-speed Firewall and VPN
- Next Generation Firewall (NGFW) – includes Firewall, intrusion prevention and application control
- Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) – includes advanced threat protection and endpoint control
- Web Filtering (WF) – include Web filtering and explicit proxy
- Next Generation Firewall and Advanced Targeted Threats (NGFW + ATA) – includes NGFW and ATP features
- Unified Threat Managemenet (UTM) – includes all previously mentioned features plus email filtering, data loss prevention, and vulnerability scanning
Download White Paper Securing Mobile Devices
More Intelligence – Contextual Visibility for Enhanced Security Reporting and Management
FortiOS 5 brings deeper insights into historic or real-time network activities using detailed analytic. Data that can be extracted includes IP and Port, geographical IP, session type, user names, network usage, network coverage and the types of applications and devices that are connecting to the network. With this, administrators can use correlated data to identify top clients associated with particular threats and further isolate suspicious websites and IP address,
Download White Paper Making Smart Policies
FortiOS: An overview
FortiOS is a security-hardened, purpose-built operating system that is the foundation of all FortiGate® platforms. FortiOS 5 software leverages the hardware acceleration provided by custom FortiASIC™ processors, delivering the most comprehensive suite of IPv6-ready security and networking services available within a single device.
Fortinet designed and built FortiOS 5 to deliver the advanced protection and performance that standalone products simply cannot match. The services work together as a system to provide better visibility and mitigation of the latest network and application threats, stopping attacks before damage can occur.
FortiOS 5 enables high performance, ultra low latency multi-threat security by leveraging the hardware acceleration provided by purpose-built FortiASIC processors. This combination of custom hardware and software gives you the best security and performance possible from a single device.
Unique Visibility and Control
Advanced security features such as Flow-based Inspection and Integrated Wireless Controller capability allow you to monitor and protect your network from endpoints to the core, and from remote offices to headquarters, for wired and wireless traffic. FortiOS allows greater traffic visibility and more consistent, granular control over users, applications and sensitive data.
FortiOS 5 lowers costs and reduces IT staff workloads. Physical or virtual FortiGate appliances give you the flexibility to match your security to your environment while enforcing a uniform security policy. Single pane of glass management and centralized analysis ensure consistent policy creation and enforcement while minimizing deployment and configuration challenges.
Securing Mobile Devices
FortiOS 5 helps secure mobile device and BYOD environments (including iOS®, Android® and Windows® clients) by identifying devices and applying specific access policies as well as security profiles, according to the device type or device group, location, and usage.
Signature-based security alone is not enough anymore; it is now critical to understand how devices on your network are behaving. Client Reputation provides a cumulative security ranking of each client device on your network based on a range of behaviors. It provides specific, actionable information that help identify compromised systems and potential zero-day attacks in real time.
FortiOS 5 enables intelligent, automatic adjustment of role-based policies for users and guests based on location, data, and application profile. Enhanced reporting and analysis provides deeper insights into the behavior of your network, users, devices, applications and threats.
Key FortiOS Features:
- Advanced Threat Protection
- Feature Select
- Extended Single Sign-On
- Cloud-Based Sandbox
- Secure Guest Access
- VPN – IPSec and SSL
- Antivirus / Antispyware
- Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)
- Flow-based Inspection Options
- Application Control
- Vulnerability Management
- WAN Optimization
- VoIP Security
- Virtual Domain
- Layer 2/3 Routing Services
- Client Reputation Analysis
- Contextual Visibility
- On-Device Sandbox
- Per-Device Security Policies
- Enterprise-class Firewall
- SSL-encrypted Traffic Inspection
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- Web Filtering
- Endpoint Network Access Control (NAC)
- Monitoring, Logging and Reporting
- Wireless Controller
- Central Management
- High Availability
- FortiGuard Security Updates